28 August 2006

Shark!

Ahh! Shark!!

no, no, I fortunately was nowhere near this shark, but I could have just eaten its relative.

For the first time, we've prepared a mako shark meal. I must say, I'm quite proud of our efforts. We've found a variety of tasty sounding recipes online and ended up with a first try called Shark Mexicana from a cool chefs website. We needed the beer to marinate the shark in, with lime, garlic, parsley, and some cumin and mustard. Then made a salsa with fresh tomatoes, red onion, mild green chilies, and a splash of hot sauce. To add a little to this entree, we added some brown rice and a quick and tasty side dish of broccoli with garlic and red onion sauteed with a little of the marinade. We broiled the fish to a flaky finish and served the items with some fresh ripe avocado on the side.

I must say, I think that the meal turned out really well. I had a little suspicion, but kept up the optimism and I think it was a cool success. Next though, we'll have to try a recipe we found with a sauce made from anchovies and capers in a white wine sauce/marinade. Yum Shark! These are some pictures of real mako sharks, by the way. Crazy, huh?? Although an expensive meal, I would have it again.

Thumbs up to that salsa garnish too. That was really really tasty; could be used on a chip, fish, or even atop other Mexican style cuisine. It was very easy to prepare and I highly recommend that, if not the fish too.!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:49 PM

    Hola, como estas? Espero que bien. Mmmm, shark a la mexicana sounds awesome girlie. See the whole word loves mexican food. Nothing new to report. I have yet to attend a check please outting. I must just be waiting for you to come with me. Say what's up to Lars. I miss you lil one!:( Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chief! by the way, Lars says hola right back to ya. I'm glad that you "approve" of our meal. Yeah, mexican food here is funny, usually pretty tasty, but really expensive... what a switch from being able to get really cheap and tasty mexican food back in the States!! I hope you can come to a check please when I'm around... at Christmas time.
    Cheers. -L

    ReplyDelete