13 September 2006

Cramming the Swedish in

I guess I'm in the thick of learning Swedish and being just about entirely surrounded by it; with the exception of Doug, but even then, he's been a priceless resource in my learning and understanding what I got from class.

Swedish of the day: att arbeta - to work.

I tell ya, the 3 hours and then up to at least 3 more later? I'm already exhausted. But my class... I have mixed feelings. It's a self propelled class, yet still encouraged by the teacher (en lärare). Oh the plus, the class is a bunch of immigrants from all over the world. And I mean all. From the Americas: Peru, Brasil and El Salvador and the USA; from Europe: England, Romania, and well, Russia, not quite Europe; from Arabia in Lybia and Iran I think; from Africa in Zimbabwe; from Asia in China, Thailand, and Vietnam. So, from the diversity angle, it's incredible to meet people from so many places.

From a work ethic perspective, the class is a bit imbalanced. Some really want to learn it or are just young, so they can handle it; others are a bit less interested or a little elder, and thus aren't catching on as quickly. Most of the class is there for love; for a romantic connection that has thus brought them here... and well, need work to keep their brains and bodies bus; so they, like myself, need to learn Swedish.

I recently have been sent to a link by an american friend... I think it really does sum up Swedish culture and tendencies... Feel free to check it out. Been in Sweden Too Long

Last Saturday (lördag), Doug and I went to Copenhagen to visit Nance. She'd been working on a really unique art project. Here's some of her work as she learned about migration and the stories that made people who the unique that they are. and making tacos without the solar energy she planned on and using a small custom oven made of cans. Incredibly resourceful!

Anyhoo, I gotta go to class... keep cramming that swedish in! phew! (already feel like I need a break, but that's why I gotta keep going right? keep it sinking in?... something like that)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:44 AM

    Hi Lauren,

    I know what you mean about self propelled. It's hard to learn when some people just don't care. I being one of the elders in my class find it hard to keep the brain in gear. The young ones just breeze thru everything and I'm still getting my paper out! The teacher is never around. It's strange but we're all having fun. Keep up the studies!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete