23 October 2006

Cave Bear

Weather: cold, wet and darkish

Swedish of the day: Jag kan förstå en liten mer svenska! = I can understand a little more Swedish!

I was super proud yesterday when Nils (Doug's uncle) called and I answered the phone. Of course, answering with something like, Lauren here. But then of course, he breaks into the Swedish, like I do English. He asked, "Hur m
år du?" I proudly answered, "Jag är bra, och en liten trött." He was pretty excited that I actually answered with confidence and said some more about the day and did we go shopping, I said, "Nej, I have been studying." (in english) where he responded that I need to study a lot? and did I understand him? I said, "Ja, jag förstår du." I could hear him smile and he responded with saying that I'm learning very fast. I said, "Ja, det är snabbt, mycket snabbt." Again, he was smiling, I could totally tell. Then, he asked to speak to Doug, mind you, all his was in Swedish. I said, "Ja, javisst!" I was so proud, even if my responses were really short, I actually understood the small talk and could respond back to them!!! Yay yay!

In a nut shell, here's a translation of our comments:

  • "Hur mår du?" = How are you/How do you feel?
  • "Jag är bra, och en liten trött." = I am good/well, and a little tired.
  • Nej = nah, no
  • "Ja, jag förstår du." = Yes, I understand you.
  • Ja, det är snabbt, mycket snabbt." = Yes, it is fast, very fast.
  • "Ja, javisst!" = Yes, of course!
  • Hej då! = Bye!
So, about 2 months in and I can really begin to show for all my hard work. I even held a little chat with Doug's mom and her classmate during our pause from our classes today. (In swedish) I tell you, it's been really boosting to see a little shape from all these efforts. I really believe I'll be saying stuff by Christmas now, not just a hope.

As for the Cave Bear. That's part of the title of a novel I just finished, suggested by Doug's dad, The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. This is an absolutely delightful period piece that takes place between the Neanderthal and the Cro Magnon era of "man" around the ice age. Jean is a Chicagoan and the story takes place pretty much in Eastern Europe or bits of Russia. This book is actually the first of 6, and I'm now on book 2, The Valley of Horses.

The story revolves around one particular Cro Magnon woman who is sort of adopted by the Neanderthal people and the obstacles she faces into young woman hood. I understand in this second one, she may actually meet some folks of her own kind; but how she gets there is written really intelligently and beautifully. You feel the cold or the beauty of the plants they see. You can see that knowing the environment for herbs, cures, nutrition, remedies and much more are available if you just care to learn about them. Very cool stories. I'm definately diving into the second one now.

3 comments:

  1. so how do you type all those umlauts and other symbols on your blog?

    that's cool you're feeling more comfortable w/ your swedish. one of these days, you'll start dreaming in swedish, and won't that be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the secrets for writing those fun swedish characters. Nah, I have no secrets; it's even a bit rough. I go to a swedish website and I copy and paste them. Once I have all 3, I can do that from my own document; but seeing I still primarily use my American Dell Laptop, I'm out of luck with the characters.

    Doug has 2 computers and they both have Swedish keyboards. But I go on them for photoshop or random other stuff. When I pour my heart or thoughts out here, it's on my own comfortable computer -wink-

    Now, dreaming in Swedish, that'll be weird. Speaking of that, since I tend to chat in my sleep on occasion, I imagine then I'd be speaking it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:40 PM

    Hey Lore,
    Have you seen the movie version of "Clan of the Cave Bear"? I've seen it a couple times. Daryl Hannah is in it. I thought it was pretty good at the time, but I've probably forgotten some of the major parts, due to seeing it that long ago. Read some of your other blogs today. Sounds like your picking up on the
    Swedish language. That's good. Today, I sent you an email to your
    yahoo account as well. Feel free to check it whenever and sorry for not writing to you sooner.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete