04 June 2007

Birthday Redefinition

Before I head out tomorrow for my big event with the espresso service at the rock festival, I felt like reflecting on my new birthday conclusions.

I'm thinking that it's a birthday like this one I've had that starts to get people to not like them, rather than the age itself. I mean, hey, at least for a while, I'm embracing aging, nothing I can prevent, just live the best and healthiest that I can to enjoy the years that I have. So, aging is not my concern here with my new grand 27 completed years on this little rock of a planet hurtling through dark space only happening to be lit by our beautiful and searing sun.

No, my thoughts are within unknown expectations. It's funny how leading up, I didn't think I had any, but now realize I was full of them. Expecting some cool surprise in the mailbox, some fun thoughts from somebody I love from the US. It's funny, I did get a couple greatings and I must say they really did make me smile and enjoy that moment. But it's funny, well maybe not. Because I expected a few other folks, at least, to mention a happy day or something, ya know, nice and simple. It's funny how it didn't happen. Vague at best. Out of family, I gotta thank Mom, Aunt Martha and Sarah & Ted, and Grandma Carol for thinking of me. It meant the world to me that you mentioned it. Because now, I can officially say that I don't like birthdays anymore. I feel let down and that they really don't matter more than keeping track of how many days or years we revolve around that spectacularly toasty sun of "ours".

I don't know, I had to get that out there. It's bizarre how you don't even realize you have expectations until you've noticed them let down. Doug and I, on the other hand, celebrated a sweet birthday. We ate at a really tasty Mediterranean/Greek restaurant and he gave me a sweet and stylish little necklace. We then headed to his folks' place to have sweets and I must say that is was a nice evening with lots of jokes and light air. They were sweet and graced me with a few gifts that I didn't really expect though. Mostly, I think I was stuck on the idea of my family not doing very much to highlight the day. When I talked with my brother, I found out that if he didn't have a party for himself, then quite likely, he wouldn't have had much either? Weird. What's going on here? I don't reallly understand. I also know I'm just writing to vent and get it out of my head.

Mostly, right now, my focus is Swedish and getting siked up for the upcoming work week. Then after that, the end of my course and more wedding preparations in full gear. So, I'll see ya in a week or so after the Rock Festival to show some pics and tell some good stories, I hope.... hmm, expectations? Wonder what I've built in there and don't even know it.

2 comments:

  1. oh, lore...i'm sorry you were disappointed about your birthday. mine was pretty boring too. if it makes you feel any better, grandma carol totally forgot ted's birthday this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, that doesn't make me feel better. I don't think the closest family should forget something as sweet as "Happy Birthday", even if the family is big, like ours. It's hard, but I guess I figured if I take the effort, they would too, and well, let's just say, I don't want to put in the effort anymore. Thanks for the thoughts though Sarah. I'm guessing this was one of those turning point birthdays. Now I just look forward to a nice dinner out with Doug from now on. That's it.

    ReplyDelete