13 June 2007

Sweden Rock Festival

The Sweden Rock Festival: a place where loads of people from all over the world (but mostly Sweden and Europe) come to a no-name place near Sölvesborg on the East coast of Sweden for an exhausting, thouroughly intoxicating, crazy rock and roll adventure for 4+ days! And I got to go and serve excellent espresso drinks to these (10s of?) thousands of people for the night before the morning after a bit and all those days in-between! (Picture on right: only Friday, before more and more people came... that red and blue tent is a a massive beer tent and I was sorta close to it as we moved the moped I was at everyday outside of the music area [top picture] to the inside past and well around the corner of the green tent in the right picture for the afternoons and nights... CRAZY!) By Sunday morning, that blue and red tent was pastel from the earth dust that was kicked up into the air!

My 3 worst bits from the festival:
  1. I am experiencing the worst detoxifying experience in my entire life. The environment was so filthy and toxic that each half day that passed, I experienced a new problem. By the time Doug got me home, I just collapsed with exhaustion on the hallway floor. He helped me draw a bath and then I essentially slept. Fevered too. From early on coughs to eye irritation and battling over 80 degree heat and loads of sunblock and tons of dust in the air to becoming an outright flu like situation with congestion, sore throat, light fever and exhausted body muscles and irritated and sensitive skin. Way nasty.
  2. Sheer exhaustion and a bit of confusion throughout the festival.
  3. I realized I don't like festivals and am not so sure I really want to keep doing this line of work... none the less, my bosses want me back and I could use more work anyways, right?
My 6 largest prizes from the festival:
  1. I officially have a job in Sweden. We all hit it off serendipitously. We're really happy to have found one another. Sebastian and Cristina couldn't be cooler or more motivated people.
  2. I have finally mastered the technique of Latte Art. I successfully and purposefully created the BB, the heart, the leaf and a rosetta (not as many of the last 2, but still made them!!!!!)
  3. I have a souvenier rock n' roll devil guitar pick.
  4. I got to practice my swedish and learn loads of new words and how to say stuff.
  5. I was compensated a bit more than offered for all my hard work.
  6. Avoided getting hardly even a sun tan whilst most were burnt to a crisp!
More fun details later folks. I'm gonna take a break again. Still recovering ya know.

3 comments:

  1. I like your photos. In the one with the beer tent...is that guy off the right-hand side wearing boxer shorts!? The espresso bar looks like a nice setup. In the top photo, that isn't the moped is it, cause it looks like a the back of a truck. Great crema pouring out of that porta-filter. How did the espresso taste? Did it taste as creamy and smooth as it looks? I'd love to see all the latte art someday. Maybe if you have another opportunity, could you take photos of them?...cause you know...seeing is believing!!!ha!!! How was the music?...I guess I'll wait for another post. Hope you feel better soon. Take it easy. Love Ted

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is, try some guys wearing boxers and then their pants are so low you see the whole entire butt curve. Or lots just in undies, no shirt too.

    The espresso was fantastic. With an espresso, I sure didn't even need any sugar what-so-ever! it was so smooth and sweet. Really really nice coffee. I was talking about latte art with mom and we might set up the machine for the after-wedding party. Maybe my old machine will have what it takes, needs greally really good steaming power and then I can show you! But I have another chance to take photos at the end of this month at a 2 day festival they want my help at too. Music? didn't care 2 cents about it. Most was too rough and loud for me. Just wanted earplugs. Sadly. Takin' it easy; you do the same. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:48 PM

    Great work.

    ReplyDelete