26 July 2006

The Pirate Ship

Mood: Cool
Music: KEXP podcast (radio station out of Seattle, WA; can be visited at www.kexp.org)

Doug and I joined Dad (Herman Erik), Uncle Nils, and Gaby to see a rebuilt pirate ship in Malmö. It was a real cool time just hanging out in the kinda hot day, by the coast, in town, and with the family. We ended up missing the first tour, so we wandered the museum and the folks around the boats whom were versed in the time period, I think about 1300.



It was nice while we waited for the second tour. Enjoying the sun, learning little bits translated to me, and a little lunch too. It was just cool to wander the bigger rebuilt ship at our leisure. They say that this was probably one of the first pirate ships due to the age of the wreck and the cannon they found, with 19 concrete cannon balls. Their rebuilding was impressive. I tell you, just being on this ship felt better than watching the Pirates of the Caribbean sequel. Doug was knighted and that's Gaby in the head lock!


Here's just a bunch of pictures from the bigger boat wanderings. Up there are the 3 guys, Nils, Dad, and Doug. And Gaby at the cannon. Here's a cool view of the mast and a general view of the deck. There was even a lower level, which sorta put living on a ship like this into more of a reality. Tight, a bit cramped, very low, just my height tall, and you feel the movements of the water a lot more in there. Just rows of benches and tables in there, with a sort of kitchen corner.

And then, the landmark of Malmö, the tallest building and one of the most "pretty" is the Turning Torso. The building does twist 90 degrees from the base to the top. It really is a beautiful building, I understand it was built for condos; however it's ironic because nobody is buying them and they are crazy building massive amounts of new condo buildings all around the base of the Turning Torso... only like 5 stories high. I guess nobody wants to live that high or something. I'd love to see one though. See what they offer, feel the height and see the view. This is the building you can see on a lot of my horiizon shots from other towns, like the Lomma beaches. Sadly, it's all by itself in larger skyscraper innovation. This building belongs in a city that can handle it; it's just sort of out of place here. At least that's my opinion.

Ah, finally got that trip back onto the computer. I feel better now, and you got to see a fun little tour day we went on. Enjoy the summer. I'm continually trying to! (and succeeding!)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:34 AM

    Hello,
    Wondered how you've been doing lately? How did you like the second Pirates of the Carribean? I thought it was cool, but still think the first one was better. It's been on the top movie gross for a couple weeks now. Thank you for the creative letter. I will write to you soon. Hope all is well. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pirate ships, balcony decks, biking, blogging... all righty. Thanks for the news, it's nice to know what's up.

    I'm super busy right now...when am I not? Trying to stay centered, but not always succeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you can see, I've been really well. Unfortunately, I was disappointed in the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I thought it was too long and just plain didn't end. No character stays/ed dead. I have no doubts that Johnny Depp's guy will come back in the third movie. However, the Superman Returns, now that, I liked!

    ReplyDelete