02 June 2006

I'm safe and sound in Sweden!

Music: Swedish TV
Mood: Walking Fatigued
Word of the Day: trött = tired

My goodness was my flight jouney lengthened. I got caught up in O'Hare with weather/thunderstorm delays for a good 1.5 -2 hours; just sitting on the plane all that time too, waiting in line to take off when the weather cleared. But I think I've discovered a mighty fun trick to getting food first... get a special meal. I got vegetarian meals and I was served way before everybody else. The flight went pretty well despite the slow start... however lots of us missed our connecting flights; Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Stockholm... So, then, we had to wait for new connecting flights. The cool thing about that is that we were upgraded to business class and got food on the plane, which otherwise would have had to pay for. So that was really great. Still had to wait a couple of hours for the 1.5-2 hour flight from Manchester to Copenhagen.

When I got to Copenhagen, we ended up getting on a train that went right past our stop. Oy, we were riding around quite some time to get back. But alas, I am at my new home. It is a great place and really contemporary and peaceful and pretty. There's a garden out one veiw of our 6th floor home, and trees and such out the other side. Sadly, there's exterior balcony maintenence going on and that's quite a noisemaker. Oh well, at least it'll be nice, spiffy, and freshly painted, eh?

We've been wandering all about, and a special thanks to Doug for that, especially since he's been under the weather since about a day before I got here. Trooper! But yeah, we've wandered a nice bit of Lund, and I got to visit his school area and a cool outdoor marketplace to buy some great lookin' fresh fruit and veggies. The event reminded me of when they put up those kiosks downtown in the loop of Chicago in that federal plaza area? yeah, kinda like them, just a little more tame about the whole thing. We got me a personal number to be able to get services here in Sweden.

I met the folks today. I must say, that went very well, or at least I thought so. They were really cool and sweet folks. We didn't stay too long, just to sort of get acquainted and all; which was nice. We borrowed the car and went to nearby Lomma (sort of in between Malmö and Lund, just off the path though) and we wandered all along the coast there. That was really beautiful. Way off in the distance you could make out a shadowy Copenhagen and the gorgeous bridge that connects Malmö with Copenhagen. Then you could see Malmö too, much closer of course. The sea air, breezing in on the paths, was salty, yet fresh, and cool too. The sun shined perfectly bright today, all day, which is a true sign that summer may have arrived here. ^_^ But the sun will not last too long, that is the way that it is. o_O

Well, hey, for now, I'm out. I'm gonna be in charge of the camera, so I'll be bringing it along on our adventures! So, more pics soon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you've made it there too. Been thinkin'bout you. I look forward to photographs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made it! So you've been through a lot to get there. All the work and preparations paid off, and it will all start to sink in...if it hasn't already so. You're taking yer first steps now, and it already sounds to good to be true. Fantastic! Heidi mentioned something about shipping Swedish beers!? Hmmm...Maybe we can go in together and purchase a case, cause I'm sure it would cost a lot of money. Swedish beer!...I hadn't given that much thought, but I'm sure it has it's unique character. Anyhoo...Ciao.

    ReplyDelete