29 June 2006

Midsommar

Mood exhausted
Music: nearby church bells, hum of kitchen appliances

We went for a reasonable bike ride yesterday, or at least I thought so. Boy did it take me out! I mean, I guess the head wind and the gentle hills were enough that I'm toast. We did keep up a reasonable pace though, and biked for about 2 hours and 20 minute with a small 15 minute rest in the park we went to. I have a ways to go before Helsingborg, or even Göteborg! (Gothemburg, our finish line destination, before we really start covering distances.) Well, this weekend, we'll get some more riding in...

We're headed north to see some water lilies that a Gumaelius discovered a while back. Going to be a bit of a family reunion too, from folks accross the world. (US included) So, I'll be sure to post a good long message about all that!

But last weekend, was Midsommar. A bit of a pagan style holiday where by Swedes dance around a pole they've decorated incelebration of the summer. Not really much more to it.

In the first couple pics, they're decorating the pole and wreaths, preparing it for the little party. When that's all done, they get a bunch of folks to move it to the dancing site (not that far away) where they put it in place. You can see it going up in the next pic. Then the folks are all awed and happy.

They start gathering around the pole; others just sit on blankets a little distance back to watch, like picnics for fireworks. A band, folk style, kicks up a little tune and gives instructions to the rings of peoples to gather around the pole. The rings alternate directions, and they do funny little moves and kicks or steps and such. Gaby and I were gigglin' a few moments.

Doug took a cool pic of the crowds, nice shot of the flag, the pole, the crowd, and our party in the bottom of the pic! That's me in the long sleeve light blue and dark gray jacket, sitting. Standing to my left is Gaby, with Jacklyn to her left, sitting. Then there's a space to my right, where Doug was sitting, then Erik (Doug's dad), standing and Nils next to him, also in light blue. So, behind us were many rows of scattered lounge folks, sitting back and watching the whole thing.

Nils is a funny guy, amazing energy and will and excitement for a guy in his 80's at least. Man does he love his nature and get around to enjoy it! After this bit of dancing, they took a break and we got a some sodas and went for a nature walk. That Nils! It was really nice though, This is where Doug and I ended up biking to yesterday, out east from Lund. Skryllegården is the name of the park, a preserve/path filled place with picnic tables about and campfire spots.

Anyways, here's some fun pics of that little nature walk. I took a pause and got Doug off in the distance leading for a little while, and up on the slope I just came down are the other 4 in our group. We hung about this little preservation spot to enjoy the beauty, the little lake, skipping rocks, catch our breath, wonder about rain from some dark clouds in the distance, and just hang about. ^_^

Later, on our journey, we came back to a clearing with this wooden structure, so Gaby and Doug climbed up there and stood proud. Nobody really knows why that's there. Soon after that, you can tell Nils wanted a little spot light, so he claimed the campsite area for his victory ^_^ Reminds me of a picture that I/we have somewhere, of myself with Ted, Jay, and my cousins, all on our old cherry swing/playset back in Itasca. We're all peering from in and around this big fun thing and Ted's standing there, like he's defeated something with one hand fisted on his hip and the other fisted triumphantly in the air. Excellent memory tie-in. Fun times. Good times.

After all that, we had ourselves some ice creams to reward our walks (Nils' treat) and we headed back to Lund. What a day, kinda kooky, those Swedes. Funny traditions, but then, who doesn't? I mean, Americans take a small bit of the earth and blow it up by means of beautiful colours and shapes called fireworks. Celebrations are what brings the communities together, and you just can't dis that. Well, hey, I'm winded, more soon about the water lily thing this weekend.

Also, I just wanted to add, that it's been a month! One whole month in Sweden! I like to say that I think I'm doing well, and I have the summer, Doug, Doug's family, my family and friends, and God to thank for all of it!

Word of the day: skål which means cheers, as in when drinking and offering a toast. ^_^

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:38 PM

    Hi Lore,
    Sorry I haven't written to you in a long time. Work has been keeping me busy lately. They had an early celebration for July 4th sometime a couple weeks ago, so I helped setup and serve the food. It was a fun time. Sounds like you are doing well. Did you enjoy the long bike ride?....Nice picture of where you ended up. Sorry that my last email ended so short,....I didn't realize my mother was beeping the car horn to get me to move! Anyways, about the ring she tried on, well she remarked about how pretty it was, so she just had to try it on, first on her wedding finger, then on her pinky. It didn't get stuck on her finger, or anything like that. I wonder what would have happened if it did? Anyways my brother got engaged yesterday, and I spoke with him for a little bit. So that is the ring story that I didn't include in my email. I hope you are doing well and keep me posted on your life in Sweeden. Take care.

    ReplyDelete